Before we start, I think it is important to define anticipation and obviousness (as learned in class).
When we are talking about obviousness in regards to patents, an invention will only be patented if it is not obvious or trivial. If it is either of those things then the patent will not be issued. In order to be patented, it must be non-obvious, meaning that someone who is an expert in that field can say if the invention is innovative and expands and deviates from pervious inventions. Therefore, if there are little or insignificant differences between one product and the next, it will prevent it from being patented.
In regards to anticipation, it means that the patent and the innovation must be novel. If others know about the item or technology you are trying to patent, then the patent has the potential to be denied.
While I was reading the different patents on the sleeves of coffee cups, I did not realize the amount of innovation that takes place. It was super interesting to see the development and transition of these sleeves from the mid 1900's to today.
I feel like the air gaps discussed in the first patent I looked at were non-obvious. Someone who did not study insulation would have not thought to create air gaps to overall increase insulation. These air gaps overall increase the efficiency of insulation. However, it is important to note that as there became more sleeve inventions, there seemed to only be minor changes to the sleeve involving air gaps. Some may argue that there is no anticipation because people already know about it, but I feel that is it still useful because it made a significant impact.
In regards to the thermal coffee cup, we have seen this used mostly everywhere. The initial drawings of the cup have changed over time but the increased portability that this patent and invention provided at the time were very novel. Another patent was the glue on dot adhesives and syntactic foam- again I believe that this satisfies as non-obvious since someone with a more technical background would have some sort of knowledge in the best way to construct these sleeves.
Lastly, the patent I found to be most interesting was the temperature indication sleeve. I believe that this is the most novel and non-obvious of all of the patens we looked at. The only thing is that there many be some difficulty in cost and that it is so disposable. However, I am curious to see how this plays out in the future. Overall, most of these patents make sense- some make rather small improvements than others but all seem to serve a new, innovative valuable purpose. Thanks for reading!
You gave a very detailed and insightful view on anticipation & obviousness - both generally and what you think personally. I really appreciate it! My favorite patent was also the temperature indicating sleeve -- isn't it so cool?! I am now on the lookout for that technology (;
ReplyDeleteGreat stuff, Gabrielle. This blog post is well planned out and structured. I agree with both you and Araghana regarding the temperature indicating sleeve -- it was also my favorite patent. I also believe that this is the most novel and non-obvious of all of the patens we looked at.
ReplyDeleteHi Gabrielle
ReplyDeleteThanks for your blog post! i did a similar thing when you explained the definition of obviousness and anticipation as well. I agree that it's important to recognize not everyone has an idea before going into detail
I like that you made a comparison between this blog and your own! It really provides encouragement and affirmation to the recipient of the comment that they're doing the right thing! Great comment :)
DeleteHi Gabriele! Your ideas were really thought out and you have a good grasp of anticipation and obviousness. Great job!
ReplyDeleteHi Gabrielle,
ReplyDeleteYour in-depth analysis of the patents you chose was absolutely great. Your discussion about the air gaps being non-obvious and analysis of the changes that occurred to the thermal coffee cup were good discussion points that you brought about. Maybe one thing you could have done better however was to analyze each patent individually a bit more in-depth. Other than that however, I believe your blog post was excellent!
I like your comments and your suggestion for improvement. I agree with the points you make, very good comment!
DeleteI like how you first point out what you liked about the post, then giving her suggestion to further improve her blog writing! Great comment.
DeleteHi Gabrielle! This is such a great post - your analysis on anticipation and non-obviousness is so in-depth! I especially like how you went about defining what the terms actually mean in the first place - this is a great approach!
ReplyDeleteGreat job! Not only did you provide a background of the two terms, but you also gave a really well-thought out analysis of them and even related examples to help us understand the two terms better!
ReplyDeleteHi Gabrielle, thanks for the post! I had the same realization that innovations that seem trivial could in fact make significant impacts. It’s great to read through and see the developments that took on within the cup sleeve industry. My favorite part is your detailed discussion on temperature indication sleeve!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Gabrielle, this is a great post. Thanks for adding definitions along with some historical context of the terms before diving into them with the patents. Really put your analysis into perspective.
ReplyDeleteHi Gabrielle,
ReplyDeleteWow, you really did a great job on this post. You pointed out lots of nuances as well as added in your own point of view, making this analysis very detailed and clear. Keep up the good work.
I agree Gabrielle. The nuances were the parts that made your blog stand out, and really added value for me as a reader. Keep up the good work.
DeleteGabby,
ReplyDeleteThis post is great! You brought up a lot of good points about each particular patent, and that just adds to the weight of your argument. I feel that you did well to summarize the patents and what makes each of them separate from the other.
Very in-depth explanations with good detail. Good job by starting off by defining terms
ReplyDeleteHi Gabrielle,
ReplyDeleteGreat job on first defining the two terms before you even began - that really helped me to understand where you were coming from. I totally agree that the amount of innovation for something that seems as simple as a coffee cup is quite crazy!
Gabby,
ReplyDeleteFantastic job with this blog post! I really appreciated the analysis within this blog post You really displayed your understanding of the two sleeve patents, and I can't wait to see your next week's post!